Thursday, October 18, 2007

Nutify me! Day 2


It's the second day of my nut-eating regime and I'm already beginning to regret this. It's a lot of nuts to eat and they are really salty. I drink a lot of water since the salt induces thirst (via ADH). To minimize the salty taste I used some nuts in my lunch that can be seen on one of the pictures (chicken, rice, corn and peanuts). It was hard to eat all the nuts. My stomach is not that big. I decided to try and burn all the extra calories in hospital gym (I'm a student at the Teaching Hospital in Linköping so I can buy a training card at a really low price 800 SEK/year). 1480 kcal is quite hard to burn doing cycling, running, rowing, walking. It took me 2h 20min and I'm not sure I really made it. Think about that the next time you eat that snack

We're doing a work on senecence and aging at school and one major theory is that caloric restriction leads to fewer reactive oxygen species (ROS) through autophagy (in time of starvation, the body uses the reactive compounds as fuel - kind of when you empty your garage during a spring cleaning). If the theory is valid, my eating behavior is really destructive and I have a hunch that it might be a bit unhealthy.

No comments: